No Scalpel Vasectomy is a sterilization procedure for the Male who wants to complete his family. The advantages of this procedure are that it is essentially painless and done without the help of any incision. After this procedure, the tube transporting the sperms from the testis to the urethra or the urinary passage is blocked and cut so that the ejaculate does not bear the sperms anymore. No Scalpel Vasectomy is a form of permanent Sterilization and even though it can be reversed successfully by microsurgery (90% Success rates), the carry home baby rate or the rate of pregnancy is only 60%-70%. Hence I do not recommend that NSV be portrayed as a reversible procedure for sterilization in the male. Here are some things that you may be interested in knowing about No Scalpel Vasectomy:
What does NSV Stand for ?
NSV stands for No Scalpel Vasectomy. NSV is significantly different from the conventional vasectomy in that there is no incision given to expose the vas or the tube carrying sperms from the testis to the urinary passage. The entire surgery is done through a small puncture made in the scrotum. The advantages that NSV offers over conventional vasectomy include:
- Small puncture with minimal pain
- Minimal trauma and bleeding
- Minimal Post operative pain
- Early ambulation and recovery
- Half hour post-operative stay in the hospital
- Ability to drive back home by car
- Resumption of light work from the same day itself
- No sutures placed hence no suture removal is needed
- Only need to follow up once after 3 months
Top Reasons why men should undergo No Scalpel Vasectomy ?
- It is a relatively complication free form of permanent sterilization
- You take responsibility for planning the family rather than leaving the responsibility to your wife
- There is no fear of future pregnancy
- You contribute to the control of world population and future of the world
- It increases you sexual appetite without any bad effects on sexual function
What are the pre-requisites for No Scalpel Vasectomy ?
NSV is by all means a form of permanent sterilization. Hence, it must be certain that the individual opting for this procedure should meet the following criteria:
- Above 18 years of age
- Married with a completed family
- Opting after consent of wife
- Absence of any local infections
- No prior sterilization
- Willing to accept the risks and associated complications
- Has normal investigations
- Normal mental status
What are the steps for a No Scalpel Vasectomy procedure ?
What are the post operative instructions given to the patients ?
- Medication as Prescribed to be taken for 5 days
- Scrotal Support for 48 Hours
- You can drive back home by car on your own
- Rest on day of surgery
- Resume complete work after 48 hours
- Cycling resumed only after 1 week
- Keep operated area clean, dry and undisturbed
- Remove Bandage on the 3rd day
- Continue Normal Diet
- Use additional contraception for 3 months or 20 ejaculations (whichever earlier)
- You should be accompanied by someone who can serve as a witness
When does one need to return to Clinic after No Scalpel Vasectomy ?
After 3 months with semen Analysis and in emergency, as and when required for persistant Fever | Discharge | Swelling | Bleeding
What are the complications of No Scalpel Vasectomy ?
No Scalpel Vasectomy is not a procedure that is free of complications. However when compared to tubal ligation for females this procedure has minimal complications which include:
- Pain – managed with short term pain killers
- Bleeding – Managed by evacuation of blood collection (Hematoma) under local anesthesia
- Infection – Managed with antibiotics and occasionally incision and drainage under local anesthesia
- Sperm Granuloma Formation
- Fever – Managed with antibiotics and occasionally incision and drainage under local anesthesia
- Chronic Scrotal Pain / Discomfort – managed with long term pain killers / Surgery.
- Pain lasting 2 to 4 weeks may happen in 2 in 100 patients
- Pain lasting many months may happen in 1 in 1000 patients
- 1 in one lac patients may need reversal of vasectomy due to long lasting pain
Only if the patient understands the complications and is willing to accept them is the procedure carried out. Despite the risks, the good part is that most of these complications are manageable and have a cure.
What are the advantages of getting NSV done with Dr. Raman Tanwar ?
- Unique standard of care for Vasectomy
- Highly trained and acclaimed surgeon with trained staff
- Experience of hundreds of Vasectomies
- NSV done in a modular operation theater with Laminar Air flow to minimize infections
- No Needle No Scalpel Vasectomy is performed which is the latest in Vasectomy
- In Line Vasectomy / Fascial Interpositioning are part of our technique
- Facility for recanalization available in same facility with excellent results
- Options for Cryo-preservation of sperm through our partner concerns
If you are convinced that No Scalpel Vasectomy (NSV) is what you need to live a health married life, we suggest that you volunteer for this life changing procedure. Be a man and book your surgery from one of the many facilities where Dr. Raman Tanwar operates.
You must be logged in to post a comment.