Male Circumcision is one of the most commonly performed surgeries in the world. Dr. Raman Tanwar performs a circumcision when it is medically indicated or when a consenting adult approaches him for this procedure. Stapler circumcision is a new way to perform this age-old procedure. The world over this procedure is typically done on new-borns for personal or religious reasons. In new-borns, there is no medical need for Circumcision but the religious laws of both Judaism and Islam require that new-born be circumcised. Associated myths include:
- It affects the sexual pleasure of a man.
- It produces effects on Male Fertility.
These myths are absolutely false.
Circumcision is done in older children and adults to treat several conditions;
- Infections of the glans and foreskin such as Balanitis and Balanoposthitis
Methods of performing Circumcision
There are three techniques by which circumcision can be performed. The most commonly used and trusted technique is standard circumcision in which the foreskin is removed with the help of scissors and self-dissolving stitches. The stapler circumcision is another way of performing circumcision. In this technique, the foreskin is cut using a stapling device which also stitches the wound with the help of fine stainless steel staples. Nowadays LASER is also frequently used to perform circumcision in which laser energy is used to cut the foreskin and self-dissolving stitches are placed.
- Standard Circumcision
- Stapler Circumcision
- Laser Circumcision
- Other techniques: Plasti-bell Circumcision, Gomco Clamp Circumcision, Sham ring Circumcision
Is stapler circumcision better ?
To answer this question let us understand what the circumcision stapler is. The Circular stapler, a new disposable circumcision device, has been developed to perform circumcision. It includes two parts:
- an Inner bell
- an Outer bell
The inner bell is designed to protect the glans. The outer bell comprises a circular blade to cut the foreskin and staples to close the wound for simultaneous hemostasis.
The Disposable circumcision stapler is sterile, hand-held, manual surgical instrument preloaded with non-bioabsorbable skin staples intended to be used to perform a circumcision. It is designed to cut the foreskin and apply a circular row(s) of staples proximal to the cut line. The stapler portion typically consists of a dome intended to be inserted under the foreskin over the glans penis, and a circular cutting stapler mechanism with a manual lever intended to connect over the outside of the foreskin. You can read more about how stapler circumcision is done here.
Advantages of Stapler Circumcision
- Short operative time of just 5 minutes compared to 10-12 minutes of standard circumcision.
- Minimal pain and tissue injury, and a low blood loss volume. Therefore, the stapler also has the potential to be used in high-volume settings by health care providers with minimal training and experience because of its simplicity and short operative and recovery times.
- More uniform suture line as cutting is done by a surgical circular blade which is a part of the stapling device.
Disadvantages of Stapler Circumcision
More expensive and latest technology may not always be better. It may have its own place and some advantages but it has a separate set of limitations as well
- The main disadvantage of the Stapler is that there may be a need to remove Residual staples after surgery. Ideally, the staples used for incisional closure need to fall off spontaneously, however, sometimes, they don’t fall off, as a result, the surgeon needs to remove them.
- It is not a Standard Male Circumcision technique and we have more data on standard circumcision and its long term complications.
- The stapler has a fixed diameter that cuts in a particular shape thus circumcision cannot be customized when using a stapler
- It is not able to use a stapler when there are a lot of abnormal preputial adhesions
- It is a relatively costly procedure since it is a single-time usable Device and the cost of the device is added.
- The stapler device is currently available in a limited range of sizes, thus, limiting its application in patients with Abnormal penis sizes and in children.
Is Stapler Cirumcision better ? Final Verdict
Stapler circumcision is just another means of performing circumcision. It offer advantages in terms of quick surgery and maybe a finer line of cut but in the hands of an experiences surgeon like Dr. Raman Tanwar who has an experience of more than 5000 circumcision procedures over more than a decade of practice, standard circumcision is equally effective especially when your case may be more difficult than usual.
If you would like to book a circumcision procedure with Dr. Raman Tanwar, who is known for the best circumcision service in Gurgaon and Delhi NCR region you can book his consultation here.